We should remember that sometimes business model innovations are as/more important than product – Google being the greatest example of a startup that was business-model-innovation oriented.
- Free service with a focus, sell the data, forget privacy (PatientsLikeMe.com)
- Automate donations, take a cut (Flattr)
- Groupon. Coupons. ‘Nuff said.
- Freemium content delivery with advertising support of free (Spotify)
- “Bribing people to ‘Like’ You” – pay for user promotion – PayWithATweet.com
- In-app sales
- Co-design / crowd-funding, quirky.com
Some of these are already big – In-App sales, for instance – while others, like PayWithATweet.com, seem destined to be seen as too cheesy for the mass market?